Hello all! You will undoubtedly have noticed that the Hand Limit Blog has been a little quiet of late and I would love to say that it was for a very good reason but quite simply it was as a result of minor burnout. But that all changes now! I am ready to pick up the keyboard once again and continue producing written content on the board games we all know and love.
So what's happened in the meantime since things went quiet? I'm glad to say we've not just been sitting on our hands. Since last I wrote we have had three, count 'em, three Hand Limit events. Last October we held a Halloween themed family event, then in January we held an event focusing on mental health awareness, and finally we held our second annual Pride event to coincide with Canterbury Pride. We were thrilled with how each of these events went and very pleased with the turnout. A particular highlight for me was teaching a family my favourite game, Colt Express, at the Pride event. They enjoyed it so much that as soon as they finished the game, they reset it and played again, despite the rain (which they had come in to shelter from) clearing and the sun coming out.
This brings me to a bit of sad news. Fruitworks Coffee Shop, very much the spiritual home of Hand Limit, closed down quite suddenly this month. This was a devastating blow as this was not only where we held our regular board game meet ups, but also where we held all of our events. The event space is still available to hire but without the coffee shop provision we are going to need to think about how viable it is for us to continue to use the space. There's no doubt that the allure of a cup of coffee and a slice of cake was a draw to our events. Fruitworks Coffee Shop will be sorely missed by the whole Hand Limit collective.
So what else is new? We've been working hard on our Hand Limit Zine and currently have 3 issues under our belt. Each edition has gone down very well and there is clearly the appetite for more to come. While we aren't keeping ourselves tied to any particular release schedule, we are hoping to get 2-4 issues out per year. Though this year might be slightly fewer as I am currently in the process of moving house, which brings its own myriad of stresses and deadlines.
What is there to look forward to? Well I am currently working on the next post in our Games on Location series, with the lovely A Place For All My Books by designers Alex Cutler and Michael Mihealsick. On top of this you can expect a return to our regular reviews and articles on the benefits of table top gaming.
And of course we are hugely excited to be attending once again the amazing Canterbury Gaming Convention this August 15th and 16th at the University of Kent. Tickets are available here. As with last year keep an eye on our socials for our reviews and previews at this event!
I'd like to thank you all for bearing with me while I got over this tremendous writer's block and I hope you are looking forward to a return to the regularly scheduled programming!

No comments:
Post a Comment